Disclaimer: Fancy Travel Hacker is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as Milevalue.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers.
WHAT CARDS EARN AMERICAN EXPRESS MEMBERSHIP POINTS?
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- American Express® Gold Card
- American Express® Business Gold Card
- American Express® Green Card
- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card
SHARING & COMBINING MILES:
If you wanted to transfer American Express points to your spouse/partner, you’d need to add them as an authorized user on your card, then AFTER 90 days, you’d be able to transfer points from your American Express account to theirs.
If you have more than one American Express card that earns membership points, you will see that American Express automatically combines the points for you.
TRANSFERRING YOUR POINTS TO A TRANSFER PARTNER
Login to your American Express account and you’ll find your Membership Rewards box on the right, half way down…
Click “Explore Rewards” and then on the top tool bar you’ll click “Earn and Redeem”. It will bring down a drop down box and you’ll want to click “Transfer Points”…
Find the partner you want to transfer points to and follow instructions.
TIPS FOR TRANSFERRING POINTS
- Let’s say you want to transfer points to Emirates. You must FIRST have an Emirates account set up. So head to Emirates website and create an account. Make sure your name on your Emirates account matches the name on your credit card EXACTLY (no nicknames, abbreviations, etc)
- It is very tempting to do a “test” transfer, however it is no recommended because when you go to do the real transfer a few minutes later, it can get flagged as fraud because the system sees transfers within a short time frame.
- I STRONGLY recommend you do NOT transfer points until you’ve found the EXACT redemption you want and are 100% ready to book. Award flight availability are changing all the time – an award flight you found this morning may be gone tonight.
EARN MORE AMERICAN EXPRESS POINTS VIA RAKUTEN
Don’t forget you have a GREAT opportunity to earn lots of American Express Membership Reward points by signing up for Rakuten and electing to earn American Express points instead of cash back. Here’s the step by step on setting this up!
Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.